The Australian Aged Parent visa allows older parents who are already on temporary visas to live in Australia permanently if their child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.
There is currently a long queue in processing this particular visa where waiting times of up to 13 years before this visa is approved. Eligible aged parents may want to apply for the Contributory Aged Parent visa, however that visa will incur a larger application fee and an Assurance of Support bond will be required under this stream.
You must have a child who is either:
- an Australian citizen
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- If your child is not over 18 years of age, you may also be sponsored by:
- your child’s spouse (must be over 18 and an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen)
- a close family relative or legal guardian of your child
- a close family relative or legal guardian of your child’s spouse
- a community organisation.
- Aged parents who are men, must be 65 years or older to meet the age requirement.