If you are seeking protection in Australia, are located in Australia and you arrived lawfully, you may be eligible to apply for a Permanent Protection (subclass 866) Visa. As a summary, you may be eligible for this visa if:
- you are in Australia and you entered Australia with a valid visa
- you are claiming Australia’s protection as a refugee or under Australia’s complementary protection scheme; and
- you are not barred from lodging a Protection visa application.
Grounds for protection
In order to be recognised as a refugee under Australian law, you must demonstrate that there is a real chance that you will be seriously harmed in your country of origin because of your:
- Political opinion; and/or
- Membership of a particular social group.
In order to be recognised as a person owed complementary protection by Australia, you must prove that as a necessary and foreseeable consequence of your removal to your country of origin, you would face a real risk of one or more of the following forms of significant harm: