The Subclass 417 visa allows certain tourists aged between 18 and 30 years old  (inclusive) – except for Canadian and Irish citizens up to 35 (inclusive) to have an extended holiday in Australia, while supplementing their funds with short-term work. The visa is valid for 12 months and allows multiple entries into and exits from Australia. Visa holders can generally work for up to six months with any one employer and can study for up to four months. Work up to 12 months for some types of specified work and regional areas may be possible.

A second Working Holiday visa may be granted to those applicants who complete three months of specified work in regional Australia while holding their first Working Holiday visa. From 1 July 2019, a third Working Holiday visa may be granted where the visa holder meets additional specified work requirements.


Note: These are the minimum requirements for an application for this type of visa. Depending upon your particular circumstances, you may need to meet additional requirements.

You must:

  • be outside of Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday Visa
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years old (inclusive) at the time of application unless from Canada or the Republic of Ireland; citizens from these countries must be between 18 and 35 years of age (inclusive)
  • hold a passport for one of the countries, or regions, listed in the table below:
  • Canadian and Irish citizens up to and including 35 years of age are eligible to apply for this visa.

Application Process

The visa application is lodged with the Department of Home Affairs (the ‘DOHA’), along with any supporting documents. The main criterion is that you satisfy the requirements listed above. You must also have access to sufficient funds to support yourself during the initial stages of your holiday. In addition, you must meet certain health and character requirements, and may be asked to provide evidence of health and/or travel insurance.

You must enter Australia within 12 months of the date that your visa is granted. You may then work in any job in any location in Australia, provided that you do not work for more than six months for any one employer unless an exemption applies. You must also not study for more than four months.

Call Us For More Information : 0470 347 574